Sunday 11 March 2018

Mansplaining

There was an amusing piece about 'mansplaining' on the radio today. In case you don't know, 'mansplaining' is when a man condescendingly explains something to a woman who probably knows more about the subject than he does. This last sentence is a very good example of 'mansplaining' in itself.

I know that men are getting it in the neck from women a lot right now, but we can take it. We are men, after all.

Of course, women can give lectures to experienced initiates as well, but it is true that men do it more than them.

I know that when I am given a lecture on how to do the job I have been doing for 50 years by someone who has only just heard of the process, I pisses me right off. Someone the same age as me who is never wrong, once talked me through the process of bronze-casting.

"What they do," he confidently asserted, "is make the thing out of wax, put it in the mould, then pour the molten bronze over it which melts the wax and the bronze takes the shape."

I suggested he tried doing it himself if he was so sure about it, then come back to me with the finished article if he survives the inevitable explosion. A little knowledge really is a dangerous thing in many cases.

What makes me even more furious than 'mansplaining' are the people who suddenly turn into qualified doctors at the merest mention of some ailment you might be suffering from, having answered the formal greeting of 'how are you?' honestly for once.

Usually, after the in-depth diagnosis and prescribed course of treatment offered within about 30 seconds of the initial assessment, the guerrilla medic will go on to explain that he has had just such a malady himself, only his case was 10 times worse than yours.

This happened to me in the pub a few weeks ago, when a boring drunk noticed my twisted fingers and didn't bother to wait to be told the real reason for my malformed hands. He actually reached over and tried to manipulate my fingers with his own clumsy, untrained hands, but I withdrew them out of reach before he had the chance of causing any more pain and damage. He is a stone mason by day.

Eventually I told him to fuck off and leave me alone. Realising I was pretty serious about this request - or order - he fucked off and left me alone.

26 comments:

  1. It is the word of the moment. Never heard it 'til Theresa May defined it for Corbyn this week. I haven't across the act mansplaining myself.

    Don't forget today is Mother's Day and you are triple booked or something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed some words out before you mansplain me.

      Delete
    2. I have to work. I have a bunny to finish, and I know how to do it.

      Delete
    3. Did anyone ever mention Watership Down......

      Delete
  2. My motto is never be honest when asked ‘How are you?’ They sure as hell don’t really want to know, so why set yourself up to be pissed off by them? If this is womanplaining, Tom I don’t care... now about these twisted digits...

    LX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually regret telling people how I really am.

      Delete
    2. The correct answer to this in Great Britain is "Good, how about you?" It is not meant to be answered literally.

      Delete
    3. I made the mistake of asking the lovely Italian mother of a friend how she was. I found out rather too much about her bowel issues.

      Delete
    4. In Great Britain, the form is to ask, "How do you do?" and to reply, "Very well thank you." 'Good' doesn't come into it.

      Delete
    5. Then the conversation must be rapidly moved on to the weather.

      Delete
  3. A nasty smart-arse American once explained to me how to make a 'vinny-gretty' sauce for the salad I was preparing. I've never forgotten his wonderful wise words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you go to the same school as Boris?

      Delete
    2. Or have the same training for an illustrious career in the Foreign Office?

      Did you attain the rank of Colonel without the suffix 'Blimp' after it?

      Delete
  4. Mansplaining happens to both sexes. I listen patiently because sometimes there is a nugget of truth or advice. Or, I just like the voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Everyone does until it all gets too much.

      Delete
  5. I would give anything to have been the one who thought up that last sentence in your post. Endings are hard, whether you are writing blogs or a book review for the Guardian, and you are so good at it. I am giving you a standing O.

    I one had a man 'splain to me why I was wrong to be setting out on a two-year job in West Africa, because Asia was much more interesting. Mind you, he had never left his hometown of Rochester, NY, which he readily admitted, but if he were to go anywhere, it would not be to Africa, and so we had to talk about his theoretical travel plans rather than my actual, real, itinerary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sounds like a real peach.

      Delete
    2. A 'standing zero'? Is that good?

      Delete
    3. I was worried that this Americanism wouldn't translate. Standing O means that the "O" stands for "Ovation". Or, did you know that and you're just winding me up. With English folk, sometimes I can't tell.

      Delete
    4. Oh I see. No, I really thought it was a zero.

      Delete
  6. The moral is never get involved with chatting at the bar in the pub - drink your pint/dram/whatever and go home - but oh how dull life would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, pubs come with bores to test you, as power comes with responsibility.

      Delete
  7. Tom, if you need any help fashioning those rabbit ears to perfection, then I'm happy to help. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do rabbit ears fall within your field of expertise?

      Delete