Saturday 24 February 2018

The Rec


It looks as though I will go through the weekend without cooking. Today I have lunch with friends - one of which has a birthday - and tomorrow I have lunch with two daughters, two mothers and one grandmother.  That makes five excluding me. I am going to be the odd one out in a Mother's Day celebration.

It looks as though there is a big rugby game here today. A part of me resents Bath Rugby for taking over the middle of town on a piece of land which was privately bequeathed 'to the people of Bath'.

They have a somewhat run-down stadium and hospitality buildings on the Recreation Ground (the clue is in the name), but they have just obtained permission to build a massive £30 million stadium which will replace the seating stands which are taken down at the end of every season so that the people of Bath can use the space for whatever recreation they want - usually dog-walking.

Ever since rugby turned professional, more and more money has been poured into it, meaning that the only people who can afford to be chairmen are seriously rich. It has turned into a business and the business is taking a few liberties with the people of Bath.

It can get away with it because rugby brings quite a lot of revenue into the city - all those people eat and drink when here and help the businesses pay their enormous rent and rates. Bath is a comparatively rich council I believe. A few years ago, the Roman Baths were second only to the Tower of London in terms of visitor numbers.

There is no money for amateur sport, so we might as well let Bath Rugby take over the public space. You will have to walk your dog somewhere else.

23 comments:

  1. At 5 pm (our time) we shall be watching England give Scotland a good a damn good beating. I'd be very happy if Twickenham was in the middle of 'Lumberjack'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear Scotland is thrashing England.

      Delete
    2. The Ref' was bent. He disallowed two perfectly good (potential) tries.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, spell-check messed up - try again - maybe third time lucky:
    I watched the rugby with my husband last night. Cro, France gave us a good beating.
    Is the match, England vs Scotland, taking place in Bath?
    Greetings Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Maria, Bath is a little village somewhere in the west country where they speak funny.

      Delete
    2. And only have 5 digits on each unwebbed foot and hand.

      Delete
    3. And I suppose you're going to tell me next mums, nans, and aunts are all different people and expect me to believe it.

      Delete
  5. I note the seating capacity will increase from 15,000 to 18,000. Not exactly Twickers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was thinking, "at least it's not funded by tax dollars". Then I see, probably it is.Our losing football team, our almost winning baseball team and our winning basketball team all play in lovely new stadiums funded by the people. It has, in its defense, brought life, people and business back to Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massive sponsorship and TV rights.

      Delete
    2. Brighton & Hove Albion (Football) have a huge brand new stadium miles out of town.

      Delete
    3. All the sites out of town are being built on here.

      Delete
  7. Hello newbie here. I have been lucky enough to watch my local team (Northampton Saints) play several times at the Rec. The setting is amazing, surrounded by the beautiful Bath buildings and the crowd are good natured and friendly.However it does seem very unfair that local people won't be able to use the Rec, Surely the rugby club would be better located at the edge of the city? once you are in a Rugby ground you tend to look at the big green bit in the middle, so where the ground is situated is not that important imho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the best view of the city is from the ugliest buildings. I overlook the rugby ground.

      Delete
  8. Hello, sorry i just glaze over when the R sportsball is mentioned, living in an obsessed country as I am. BUT I did want to warn you that I am coming over in October/November so you never know, we might get to meet!

    ReplyDelete