Wednesday 11 October 2017

Essence of anchovy


Research animals on the net and all sorts of images come up. Research anything on the net and all sorts of images come up.

I quickly discovered that forensically building up muscles on a skeletal frame before adding the fur does not produce good sculpture. Doing this produces really impressive results when you are trying to find out what a murder victim looked like before decomposition, but you would not want to display the finished article on your mantlepiece.

In any event, us humans have a hard enough job trying to tell the difference between one fox and another, so if we employed a forensic sculptor to reconstruct one particular dead fox on its skeleton, we would end up confirming what we already know. It's a fox.

What I want when I show someone a fox sculpture is for them to say, "It really looks like a fox", and not really mean it.

What is the stinkiest thing in the world? An anchovy's arsehole.

17 comments:

  1. I've seen these clever forensic people reconstructing faces from skeletal remains, but no account is ever given of morphology. Reconstructing Cyril Smith's skull, would be very different to Jimmy Savile's (for example).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I think the initial identification as far as Cyril Smith goes is that you start out with a mountain of blubber, then see what's inside.

      Delete
  2. When ...well, if...I paint a fox (I usually paint cats) I want people to say, "It really looks like a fox [or cat]", and mean it.

    Wait. Are we really talking about foxes? Or are we talking about something else that I missed? Or are we talking about anchovies?

    A fox wearing a hat, now that's something I'd pay to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I put it the wrong way up there in the post. As far as I am concerned, it is all to do with essence.

      Delete
  3. Anchovy and essence certainly go together in my book. Love it.
    Please look at the title of my blog today!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Weave. I think I have used it to my advantage...

      Delete
  4. I agree about the anchovy and I'll never eat another. In a Paris pizza kitchen on the Left Bank, I thought I would eat something other than pork so I order an anchovy pizza. I figured they would decorate the top with a few fillets which I could push to the side if I didn't like it. My pie arrived and I took a bite, threw my head back and had to swallow it. Instead of a tomato base, there was a thick mash of anchovy. Will never make that mistake again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anchovies in brine are to be taken in small quantities - like Marmite on toast.

      Delete
  5. The stinkiest?
    An elderly bulldog's fanny pre surgery
    Believe me
    I had to breath through my mouth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never eat a pre-surgery bulldog's fanny again, no matter how good the pizza looks.

      Delete
    2. Tom Stephenson, this is why I love you. That is the funniest thing I've read/heard for ages.

      Delete
  6. Essence in itself is the definition of a thing as said Thomas Aquinas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. So do I, so long as they don't have sharp bones which stick in your gums when you eat them.

      Delete
  8. Gentleman's Relish - sounds obscene, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete